Knife Skills: Knife Safety
Place of Learning:
6 – 8
9 – 12
Do you want to learn and practice knife skills to improve your cooking? The first step towards that is learning how to work with knives safely. This short lesson will explain a few important practices that help keep you safe as you develop and practice your skills. You’ll watch a short video and then answer a few questions about what you learned in the video. Then you’ll practice what you’ve learned and prepare a simple snack of cut vegetables.
Student Learning Goals & Objectives:
- Understand how to hold a knife safely.
Download Lesson Materials
- This activity asks students to practice using tools and develop skills in the kitchen.
- This activity supports students in becoming more confident in the kitchen.
- If your child is not used to using knives, we recommend supervising and supporting them asthey develop their skills.
- Read Supporting Students to Take Age-Appropriate Risk to learn more about our approach to encouraging responsibility and independence in the kitchen for youth.
- If students are completing this lesson as part of the kitchen curriculum Cooking with Curiosity: Challenging Perfection with Reflection this lesson is 1.4: The fourth lesson of Unit 1.
- Some lesson plans are formatted as a fillable PDF so that students can answer the questions and return the document as if it were a worksheet. We recommend testing this functionality with your technology as it varies by device and operating system. If it does not work for you, consider using a google form or having students answer the questions in a new document and submitting their answers to you that way.